Synchrony bank has reversed debits/credits

david.carlson.417@gmail.com david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 09:24:24 EDT 2016

    Mike, I understand what you are saying but my problem is that the OFX files from one particular Synchrony bank credit card are reversed from the files that I get from all my other credit cards, including a different Synchrony bank credit card.  I suspect that they would also import incorrectly into Quicken or any other financial software.
If it continues I may need to take John's suggestion and set up a dummy asset account for their transaction imports.  So far I am going through each transaction and reversing signs manually.  It is a pain that I cannot match payments to existing transactions  from whichever  bank account during the import.
I haven't complained directly about that to them yet because it would confuse them while trying to resolve several other detail issues I am having with that account.  I did mention it in passing however.
Along the line of your suggestion, however, I think that it is interesting to note that not all programs are consistent about whether payments or charges are shown in the left most number column of the register display..  I think that GnuCash is probably technically correct but if it differs from another program it is harder for a user to migrate from another program.
David C
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: Mike or Penny NovackDate: Tue, Jun 28, 2016 7:05 AMTo: gnucash-user at gnucash.org;Subject:Re: Synchrony bank has reversed debits/credits
On 6/27/2016 3:10 PM, David Carlson wrote:> I cannot believe it but that bank generates OFX files for a credit card> account with type debit for a payment and credit for a charge.  Is there> any easy way to import such a corrupted file into GnuCash?>> They also have weird rules about password usage, but we don't need to go> there.>> David CNo they haven't, not "corrupted". What has you confused is you aren't taking into account the difference because  the points of view of THEIR books and YOUR books are opposite. You bank statement is the same way, their point of view vs yours.Pretend for just a moment you were running the credit card company and a customer sent in a payment. You would record that as a ..............   Now suppose they borrowed an additional amount (charged something). You would record that as a ...............Make sense now? They are showing you that portion of THEIR books that refers to your account with them. They aren't sending you something being prepared for you to directly upload into your books (they aren't sending you what should be your account with them in YOUR books)Michael D Novack_______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing listgnucash-user at gnucash.orghttps://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.