Increasing the number of periods in a budget

Cheryl Wheeler c_wheeler_2002 at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 8 21:35:13 EST 2016

Thanks, David T. and John Ralls, for answering my question about the
Revert feature. Now I will ask a question about the event that led me to
use the Revert feature. :-)

A while back, I created a budget with 3 periods. After filling in all of
the numbers, I decided that I wanted the budget to have 4 periods, with
the new one coming before the already-existing ones (to the left of the
existing columns in the budget). So I changed the budget options as
follows: in the "Budget Period: beginning on:" dropdown, I changed the
date to one period earlier than it was. In the "Number of Periods:"
dropdown, I increased the number from 3 to 4.

After doing this, all of my budget numbers were associated with the
wrong periods, in my opinion. Basically, the budget numbers in column 1
stay in column 1 after the options are changed, even though the period
that column 1 represents is different than it was when I entered the
numbers.

To get what I wanted, I ended up re-entering all of my budget numbers in
all periods, but I'd like to know whether there is another way to solve
the problem, and whether it is a bug.

As a separate issue, if I modify the options *only* to increase the
number of periods, then a period/column is added at the right side of
the budget, with some numbers filled in. I'm curious where those numbers
come from, as I can't see any relationship in them to any of my other
numbers. If I had a choice, I'd prefer them all to be blank instead of
pre-filled.

Windows 7, Gnucash 2.6.6.