Import QFX, imbalance account

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Mar 15 15:33:30 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Tue, March 15, 2016 2:51 pm, metanosis wrote:
> Many thanks for the response,
>
> Am not trying to get to zero balance on the Imbalance account by
> importing,
> the Imbalance account was at zero balance, then imported recent
> transactions.
>
> All the recent transactions imported as checking account, even though they
> were under the Imbalance account. I changed all the transactions to the
> correct accounts, but the Imbalance account still has an imbalance. Here
> is
> a jpg of the progression of screens, you can see the import dialog box
> shows
> imbalance, and reminds the accounts must be changed, then the imported
> transactions, all under the checking account, then the last shot shows
> halfway through changing accounts, but the transactions don't go away, and
> Imbalance remains the same???? Thanks again for any help....
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4683853/Picture1x.jpg>

You're changing the wrong Split.

Originally you have a bunch of transactions from Checking -> Imbalance.
You're changing them to be from Expenses:... -> Imbalance.

This is because you didn't do what I said.  You have to explicitly
Split-expand every transaction and change IMBALANCE to your Income/Expense
account.  That's not what you're doing.

So ... you need to UNDO everything you just did, and then do it correctly.

In the future, when you import, you should assign the income/expense
accounts during the import process.  Where it says "UNBALANCED" you
shojuld assign the account.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745