Reminder invoices on unpaid accounts

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Wed Mar 16 20:43:12 EDT 2016

David Lark wrote:
> Fellow GC users:
>
> When a customer account is not paid in full, I have the need to send an
> additional monthly invoice. This invoice would ideally take the
> following form:
>
>   * New line items (posted to accounts receivable).
>   * Subtotal for the above.
>   * + Amount due from previous invoice(s).
>   * - Payments received.
>   * + Interest on unpaid balance (posted to A/R).
>   * = Total due now.
>
> Just creating a new invoice with the past due amount entered as a line
> item would result in the past due amount showing up twice in A/R. The
> only way I can think of to do this is to create the invoice, and negate
> the original amount in a subaccount, perhaps called "Delinquency
> Rollover" or some such.
>
> It seems as if the A/R capabilities of GC aren't quite there yet. Or
> perhaps my brain is what is missing some features. How do you deal with
> this situation? All ideas will be welcome.
>
> David

What you have been doing is re-invoicing the main invoice, so it appears
twice in the accounts.
I think you are doing this because you wish to add an interest penalty for
late payment.
For this reason, the customer report does not suit well.
May I suggest the alternate approach, in which the price rises but you
provide a discount for prompt payment? It is actually easier to do
accounts that way in Gnucash but the objective is the psychological change
from penalty to bonus in the payer's mind.

Currently your additional monthly invoice should not contain the original
invoiced amount.
You could also edit the original invoice to add the required interest, and
print off a new pdf, keeping both old and new pdfs in your computer filing
system.

Liz