How to accommodate my own house construction costs in gnucash accounts?

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Mar 31 07:20:42 EDT 2016

On 3/30/2016 5:40 PM, DaveC49 wrote:

> When you have completed the construction, the value of the asset House to
> you  will hopefully be more than the sum of the costs of its construction
> and the cost of the land on which it was built.
I agree with all but the part about "marking to market" and "unrealized
gains". This is not the usual practice with a house intended for
personal use rather than investment purposes. Rather, the "basis" of the
house would be whatever you paid for it, whether that was what you paid
a previous owner or the total of construction costs, land, fees, etc.
If and when you sell the house is when capital gains might be considered
to come into existence and be taxable*. But that might be never << if
you die and the house passes to your heirs --- while we speak of death
AND taxes as being unavoidable, in some cases it is death OR taxes >>

Michael D Novack

PS: For some purposes (evaluating financial position when applying for
credit) the current market value of the house might be relevant. But not
in terms of "unrealized gain", since for those purpose what you paid for
the house, the basis, would not be relevant.

* Again with the understanding that I am NOT "qualified" to give such
advice, when you sell a primary residence and within six months buy
another for more than you got for the one you sold, you don't have to
pay "capital gains" but can instead transfer the basis putting off the
evil day. Which as I have already explained, might never come. I am
referring to the tax jurisdiction of the US in this.