New user transitioning from Quicken

Leo Simon leosimon at berkeley.edu
Sun May 1 01:53:35 EDT 2016

Hi everybody.

Like many users of gnucash, I've been using Linux for years and the only
reason I keep a windows virtualbox is to have access to quicken.     I have
very much hoped that gnucash would allow me to jettison Windows forever, but
so far it appears that's sadly not to be an attainable goal.

I've read the section of the manual for transitioning-from-Quicken users
like me, but amazingly it doesn't address the most basic questions that all
quicken users must surely want an answer to.    The first of these is:  how
to/if it's indeed possible to  reproduce the analog of Quicken's check
registers.       The manual has an entire chapter devoted to the transition
process, but amazingly---and this seems to be a pattern---it doesn't appear
to anywhere address the simplest of simple questions:   can I get the same
functionality out of gnucash that I get out of Quicken?

The manual seems to suggest that working with Accounts rather than
Categories will make your life easier, whereas it's abundantly clear that,
at least for long-time quicken-users,  it makes your life *much* harder.
Specifically, the first thing that I want to be able to do is abstract from
gnucash's account structure and look at all my transactions in a ledger that
matches my online ledger with my bank.    In other words, I've been unable
to get "outside" of gnucash's account structure, and see a date-sorted list
of *all* my transactions, rather than see, individually, all of by
transactions that belong to a particular Account.      To say it in yet a
different way, I simply want to see a replica of my bank statement within
gnucash.     Presumably, *everybody* who has ever used Quicken must
desparately want to see the same thing, so it *presumably* must be possible.

If anybody could help with this, or point me to the right website for a
question like this, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Leo