New user transitioning from Quicken

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Sun May 1 22:02:19 EDT 2016

> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 22:53:35 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Leo Simon <leosimon at berkeley.edu>
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: New user transitioning from Quicken
>
> Hi everybody.
>
> Like many users of gnucash, I've been using Linux for years and the only
> reason I keep a windows virtualbox is to have access to quicken.     I have
> very much hoped that gnucash would allow me to jettison Windows forever, but
> so far it appears that's sadly not to be an attainable goal.
>
> I've read the section of the manual for transitioning-from-Quicken users
> like me, but amazingly it doesn't address the most basic questions that all
> quicken users must surely want an answer to.    The first of these is:  how
> to/if it's indeed possible to  reproduce the analog of Quicken's check
> registers.       The manual has an entire chapter devoted to the transition
> process, but amazingly---and this seems to be a pattern---it doesn't appear
> to anywhere address the simplest of simple questions:   can I get the same
> functionality out of gnucash that I get out of Quicken?
>
> The manual seems to suggest that working with Accounts rather than
> Categories will make your life easier, whereas it's abundantly clear that,
> at least for long-time quicken-users,  it makes your life *much* harder.
> Specifically, the first thing that I want to be able to do is abstract from
> gnucash's account structure and look at all my transactions in a ledger that
> matches my online ledger with my bank.    In other words, I've been unable
> to get "outside" of gnucash's account structure, and see a date-sorted list
> of *all* my transactions, rather than see, individually, all of by
> transactions that belong to a particular Account.      To say it in yet a
> different way, I simply want to see a replica of my bank statement within
> gnucash.     Presumably, *everybody* who has ever used Quicken must
> desparately want to see the same thing, so it *presumably* must be possible.
>
> If anybody could help with this, or point me to the right website for a
> question like this, I'd be very grateful.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Leo,

I may be misunderstanding but it sounds to me that you use sub accounts of your bank account like I do. If you wish to see all transactions in the bank account and it's sub accounts, with a running balance, then right click on the bank account in the accounts tab, and select Open Subaccounts.

Regards,
Chris Good