help: Error file lockec?

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Mon May 2 08:03:50 EDT 2016

On 5/1/2016 10:52 PM, Chris Tsuji wrote:
> I tried that, but was not able to save
> chris
OK, then we need more information from you (your problem is one of the
different situations)

a) What operating system are you using?

b) WHERE did you decide to put your gnucash file (the file that is your
books). In other words, into what directory (file folder) did you choose
to save it the first time? We need to check that you have write
permission to that directory.

c) Tell us how you installed gnucash and when did you open it the first
time (while in the same session?)

d) One thing you might try to do in the meantime. FIND the lock file
(use the "find file" tool of your OS looking for files ending with
extension .lck  ------ you should have "show hidden files" selected. Can
you delete this file? (the usual way that you delete files) This is
investigating "b" above, because the path where it is found will show
you the directory it is in and if you can delete it you have permission
there. If you can't find it in any of your data directories, log in as
administrator and try again. That could be useful information if you
can't remember for "c" above.

Michael

PS remember, when I say "directory" it means what you probably think of
as "file folder"