Finance::Quote data problem

David Romano david.romano at davidjromano.com
Tue May 3 13:16:39 EDT 2016

Hi guys, I can't get gnucash 2.6.12 to run  finance::quote to pick up GBP to
EUR - the default currency is GBP but there are some accounts in EUR

I've worked my way through the Q: How do I fix a "system error" or "unknown
error" when getting stock quotes? On this page

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_fix_a_.22system_error.22_or_.22
unknown_error.22_when_getting_stock_quotes.3F

gnc-fq-check runs

C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin>perl gnc-fq-check

("1.38" "adig" "aex" "aiahk" "amfiindia" "asegr" "asia" "asx" "australia"
"bamosz" "bet" "bmonesbittburns" "bourso" "brasil" "bse" "bsero" "canada"
"canadamutual" "citywire" "cominvest" "cse" "deka" "dutch" "dwsfunds"
"europe" "fetch_live_currencies" "fidelity" "fidelity_direct"
"fidelityfixed" "financecanada" "finanzpartner" "finland" "fool" "france"
"ftfunds" "ftportfolios" "ftportfolios_direct" "fundlibrary" "goldmoney"
"greece" "hex" "hu" "hufund" "hungary" "hustock" "indiamutual"
"known_currencies" "lerevenu" "maninv" "morningstar" "morningstarjp"
"mstaruk" "nasdaq" "nyse" "nz" "nzx" "platinum" "romania" "seb_funds"
"sixfunds" "sixshares" "stockhousecanada_fund" "tdefunds" "tdwaterhouse"
"tiaacref" "tnetuk" "troweprice" "troweprice_direct" "trustnet" "tsp" "tsx"
"uk_unit_trusts" "ukfunds" "unionfunds" "usa" "usfedbonds" "vanguard" "vwd"
"yahoo" "yahoo_asia" "yahoo_australia" "yahoo_brasil" "yahoo_europe"
"yahoo_json" "yahoo_nz" "yahoo_yql" "za" "za_unittrusts")

The dump command seems to run fine >> gnc-fq-dump -v <source> <symbol>

The CSCO test also seems to work fine

So it all looks as though the Finance::Quote module is running.

I've checked for updates

This is how I've setup the price database

When I run Get Quotes  all I get is a blank window with no sign of data
being downloaded

Then the window closes after about 2 seconds leaving the price database
price fields as zero.

This is the machine GNUcash is running on (SSD drives)

I've also tried an install on my laptop with the same result.

As far as I can diagnose Finance::Quote does seem to be able to access the
data but it does not seem to be being loaded into GNUcash.

I'm a new GNUcash user so I may have just got the settings wrong.

Alternatively it may be that there are some settings on the PC that need
changing, but I've tried running with the firewall down and it makes no
difference.

Can you tell me what's going wrong and how to fix it, please?