I need some guidance setting up the account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 5 13:10:20 EDT 2016

HI Jean,

First, you should send all messages to the gnucash-user mailing list
instead of to individuals.

Jean Lerner <fastlerner357 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I set up the account using my business name and think it is in read mode only.
> How do I get out of that. Also, when the system asks me for the name of the
> account, I click on account and it goes blank for a second and reverts back to
> the work “account.”  I put in lots of data before I realized I wasn’t going to
> get it back easily. Also, I did not put in the correct dates and I could not
> get the system to edit the dates so it all read 4-23-2016. Again, in read mode
> only? This is a great idea for an accounting site. Glad to make monthly
> donations because once I do all this, I don’t want it to go away!! jeanlerner

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you did based on this description.
If a file is in readonly mode that implies that you clicked on "open in
read only".  What if you quit GnuCash and then re-start and reopen the
files?

As for not being able to edit the dates, either this is due to you
opening the file in read-only mode, or because you reconciled the
transactions.