How do I take delivery of stock certificates? (Not a brokerage question.)

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Thu May 5 19:32:30 EDT 2016

In article <572B9819.7070701 at verizon.net>
Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On 05/03/2016 05:17 PM, Wm wrote:

Wm:

> >> Sorry that it was not obvious. I surely did use the right transfer value
> >> in the new account. If I look at that account, it gives the correct
> >> purchase price. But the balance sheet does not.
> >
> > No, no.  Perhaps it should be me (or us) saying sorry, though I
> > also suspect something may have been lost in translation.
> >
> > If you look at Tools / Security Editor do the shares appear more
> > than once or once only?
>
> Once only.
> >
> > If you look at Tools / Price Editor do the shares have accurate
> >
> > Date
> > Price
> >
> > entries on or around the dates you made significant transfers?
>
> No price at all.

There is your problem.  The balance sheet expects to find prices in
the price database.  You can enter them by hand if for some reason
they haven't been created when you entered the trasactions.
Fetching up to date prices is usually done through the bundled
Finance::Quote module.

> > These should be close to market values aat the time for most
> > purposes rather than transfer values which could be weird for many
> > reasons.
> >
> > Having checked that, open up a balance sheet (try both and see
>
> both what?

Both balance sheets, GnuCash has two.

> > which suits your example better) and look at what you have for
> > Price Source
>
> Nothing.

In that case you may have a more serious and novel problem.  To the
best of my knowledge
Report options / Commodities / Price source
for a balance sheet can't be nothing.

> > and (obviously)
> > Date (it is a balance sheet so must have that)
>
> Balance Sheet 2016-12-31

Try Today rather than some point in the future while you are
troubleshooting, you don't know what the stock price will be at the
end of the year.

> > and tick (or check or whatever it is in your home language)
> > the boxes that Show Currencies and Show Exchange Rates and so on
> > and look at what is shown.
>
> Berkshire-Hathaway Class A
> 3 BRK.A	$97,800.00

The current price for BRK.A is around 215,880.00 each.  Your price
database doesn't have the data GnuCash needs to give you a
meaningful balance sheet.

--
Wm