New user transitioning from Quicken

Leo K. SIMON leosimon at berkeley.edu
Fri May 6 15:58:25 EDT 2016

Thanks for this, Colin!   I'm really surprised that double sorting isn't
viewed as critical.   I've attached a file illustrating how I use them;
 the columns refer to moths.    I want to keep track of costs by month in
which they were incurred.   How would people do this in gnucash?   Surely
*everybody* who runs a business needs this kind of information?   I did see
some ancient references to workarounds using jobs and customers as
organizing filters, but I can't find any documentation of this.    Do you
know anything about this?    Thanks again

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Aaron Laws <dartme18 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Leo K. SIMON <leosimon at berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>>             1)  critical issue: quicken tags
>>                        There was a some discussion about these on the web
>> round 2011, and at the time the gnucash development team said that they
>> weren't going to implement filtering/sorting by tags in the near future.
>>  Then the discussion seemed to have died.     Have there been new
>> developments on this topic?
>

> This is discussed fairly frequently. You have noticed correctly: no tags.
> There is desire for them, though, and I think the development effort would
> smile on their addition (done correctly), but nobody has done it yet.

Professor Leo Simon                    leosimon at Berkeley.EDU
Agricultural and Resource Economics    http://are.berkeley.edu/~simon
207 Giannini Hall #3310                (510) 917-2916  (cell)
University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley CA 94720-3310                 (510) 643-8911  (fax)

~