How do I take delivery of stock certificates? (Not a brokerage question.)

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri May 6 18:54:34 EDT 2016

In article <572BE4FE.6030209 at verizon.net>
Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On 05/05/2016 07:32 PM, Wm wrote:
> > In article <572B9819.7070701 at verizon.net>
> > Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 05/03/2016 05:17 PM, Wm wrote:
> >
> > Wm:

> >> Once only.

> >> No price at all.
> >
> > There is your problem.  The balance sheet expects to find prices in
> > the price database.  You can enter them by hand if for some reason
> > they haven't been created when you entered the trasactions.
> > Fetching up to date prices is usually done through the bundled
> > Finance::Quote module.

> >> both what?
> >
> > Both balance sheets, GnuCash has two.
>
> Really? This is the first I have heard about that.
>
> I used the one under Income & Expense. That one is set to "End of
> Accounting Period" for the date.
> I just tried the one under Assets & Liabilities, using today's date.
>
> They look the same.

What version of GnuCash are you using?

Reports / Assets & Liabilities has had two balance sheets
Balance Sheet
Balance Sheet using eguile-gnc
for many years now.

Also there isn't a Balance Sheet under Income & Expense, the Trial
Balance report serves a different purpose to a Balance Sheet and
you shouldn't really be using it in this context unless you've
chosen Report Variation: Work Sheet.

An Equity Statement could be useful if you set the dates right and
limit the accounts appropriately but you have specifically said
Balance Sheet so I'm uncertain if we are talking about comparable
versions.

> >> Nothing.
> >
> > In that case you may have a more serious and novel problem.  To the
> > best of my knowledge
> > Report options / Commodities / Price source
> > for a balance sheet can't be nothing.

> >> Balance Sheet 2016-12-31
> >
> > Try Today rather than some point in the future while you are
> > troubleshooting, you don't know what the stock price will be at the
> > end of the year.

> >> Berkshire-Hathaway Class A
> >> 3 BRK.A	$97,800.00
>
> If I change Balance Sheet->Commodities->Price Source from AverageCost
> from 3 BRK.A	$97,800.00
> to Weighted Average, it gives
>      3 BRK.A	$412,400.01
> which is nuts.

For a balance sheet including traded stuff you generally want
Nearest in Time as you want the report to show the value of the
asset at the time of the report, often Today or the end of last
month or the end of last year.  Not often a time in the future as
you don't usually know what the asset will be worth, there are
exceptions with futures, traded options, stock borrowing, etc that
don't apply to what we are talking about in this thread.

> If I change Balance Sheet->Commodities->Price Source from AverageCost to
> Most Recent it gives
>     3 BRK.A	$0.00
> But it then wrecks the cost of my bullion gold, but silver is OK.

Why are you trying everything except the Nearest in Time?  That,
plus prices near the report date in your price db, will give you
sensible results.

> > The current price for BRK.A is around 215,880.00 each.  Your price
> > database doesn't have the data GnuCash needs to give you a
> > meaningful balance sheet.
> >
> It seems to me, it should have the data, since it got at least the data
> point when each item was purchased, and should be able to use that as
> the cost basis.

OK, lets try some detail.
In Tools / Price Editor
find BRK.A
you should have a list that your eye can identify as containing
dates and prices for BRK.A.  You should have at a minumum a date
and a price for each transaction you have recorded in GnuCash
*plus* a price fairly close to the date you want to report on:
today or end of last year for example.

Once you've got prices relevant to your report date into the price
db for each of your commodites *then* you can start looking at
other stuff like the Advanced Portfolio or a Balance Sheet, without
that you are asking GnuCash to invent valuations.

--
Wm