Using multiple currencies

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sun May 8 07:37:59 EDT 2016

On 5/7/2016 11:06 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>> On May 7, 2016, at 7:52 AM, Mike or Penny Novack <mpnovack at mtdata.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/6/2016 5:18 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> That's a workable option if one's financial affairs are really that isolated, but it seems an unlikely scenario. Even if one has arranged life so that one has completely separate asset accounts fed by separate income streams that are separately taxed one is likely to want to have an aggregate income statement with both halves reduced to a single currency.
>
> Of course for all of those people recently featured in the "Panama Papers" it probably is preferable to have separate files. On separate computers in places that can only be raided by the tax authorities of the country for which that particular set of accounts applies. ;-)
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I was NOT meaning to imply that you would not want that information (net
income, net worth, etc. computed in terms of ONE of the currencies).
Just that you MIGHT want to do that via separate books. After all, it is
then just a couple numbers to apply an exchange rate to and add up. And
yes, I do know folks (mainly in academia) who do have income/expenses by
country << might be on faculty of a university in one country but
living/working in their "home" country during "vacation" --- taking
summer session jobs, etc. in their "home country" precisely because that
lets them easily visit kin, etc. >>

But no, you would NOT have to be Panama Paper level dodgers to want to
be "hiding the pigs". There is a general principle not to show/disclose
any information you are not required to show or disclose. And this is
not just with regard to the authorities, so I will mention something
that keeps coming up with sole proprietorships.

Were I owning a business, even though sole owner I would keep that set
of books separate from my personal books. More or less the way a
partnership would, except for there not being any other partners. Why?
Consider the situation were you negotiating to sell the business. What
do you want (or not want) to show a prospective buyer? Aren't your OTHER
financial positions something you would not want to be disclosing?
<< to those of you who would suggest just producing and printing off
selective reports, might I point out that I would not accept that as
potential buyer; who is to say that those weren't simply created out of
thin air! For the organizations where I am treasurer I insist that
without warning another officer get a bank statement directly from the
bank and NOT verify by looking at the paper statement I received from
the bank. After all, a major financial institution used to pay me to
program systems to produce statements just like that, so who is to say
that piece of paper was printed by the bank and not by my own computer
system >>

Michael D Novack