How To Open the Checkbook Style Register

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue May 17 16:43:07 EDT 2016

> On May 17, 2016, at 10:41 AM, donald muir <titanium.donald at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Derek . Thanks . I understand now I must enter the account name in the transfer column . Now I have another dilemma . I set up all my accounts last week without the account codes so now I have the account hierarchy I want . The transfer column is not recognising the accounts I have already set up as they have no codes . How do I assign codes to all accounts already set up so that when I put an entry in the transfer column it will pick up the pre existing account as at the moment it doesn't . Thanks Donald

Donald,

You can add account codes by editing the accounts: Select an account in the accounts page and click Edit in the toolbar.
That's not necessary for selecting accounts, though. You can click in the transfer field and it will open a pick list or you can just start typing the account hierarchy; as each step is recognized use ':' to accept and then start typing the next level. Repeat until you've specified the account you want.

This thread suggests that you're demanding handholding instead of reading the documentation. That's rude. Please refrain from asking more questions until you've studied the Tutorial and Concept Guide. You can find it in the help menu or on www.gnucash.org.

Regards,
John Ralls