MySQL vs XML: pros & cons?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 20:58:14 EDT 2016

I recall reading a developer a few years back saying that the schema is not fully normalized, and a lot of the data logic is interpreted in code, rather than being reflected in the schema.

Some have created reports that utilize SQL for their data (google: "gnucash sql tutorial site:lists.gnucash.org”). Others are more comfortable managing the data on a db server. Still others like the immediate commit that SQL yields them, although others have lamented the lack of a rollback feature. There has been a lot of discussion over the years on the list about the relative merits of each storage method. The archives of the list would be the best way to catch up on those discussions. I personally use the XML backend, since it is stable, and there is little daily benefit to me to change. Perhaps some of those SQL users can weigh in.

David