MySQL vs XML: pros & cons?

yary not.com at gmail.com
Fri May 20 08:26:07 EDT 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 2:52 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 May 2016 at 22:27, Don Ireland <gnucash at donireland.com> wrote:
>>
>> Related Q: is it possible to write a script that interacts with GC while
>> it's running? I'm thinking about an event handler that fires when performing
>> certain tasks.
>
> I don't see how that is related to how the data are stored.

Not sure about scripting a running GnuCash instance.

You can use the API to read and manipulate the data in your own
program. And if the data is stored in a database format, and the
database supports triggers, then you can have the database run code
when data changes in a certain way. I would not try changing the
database (or the XML representation) of a running instance behind its
back, I'd only use triggers for reporting, logging, or writing to some
different system.

-y