Altering colors in the register view

Isaac Wingfield isw at witzend.com
Tue May 24 15:23:19 EDT 2016

I'm trying to get GnuCash set up for my accounting-savvy but computer-not-so-much wife. She really doesn't like the two-tone green color scheme of the register, and I'm trying to change it. This is on a Mac, BTW.

I got a copy of gtkrc-2.0.gnucash and stuck it in my home folder with a "dot" in front of the name, and GnuCash evidently sees it and (to some extent) pays attention to it -- i.e. I am able to change the colors of various parts of the display.

The problem is that no matter what colors I choose for the transaction backgrounds, the color of the text changes to a sort of reddish-brown when unselected (which is not good), or nearly white when selected (which makes it almost unreadable). It appears that the lines outlining the headers at the top of the register are the same reddish color as the text, FWIW, but I can't see where to set that either.

I can alter the typeface by changing the value of font_name, but adding font_color = "Black" seems to break things so that gtkrc-2.0.gnucash file is totally ignored.

So, how do I control the color of the text?

Also, is there any way to get GnuCash to revisit that file without quitting and relaunching the program? That's sort of slow when you're trying out a lot of color combinations.

thx

Isaac