GNUcash and Owncloud

Fri May 27 10:54:30 EDT 2016

Thanks Mark and David!

I'll definitely look into the discussions about serial remote access.
Owncloud does perform transactional file locking by default but I need to
look into it further to make sure everything correctly works with GNUCash.
I'm hoping I can get it setup correctly to avoid any collisions for the
exact reasons mentioned. If any one else is interested in looking at the
features -
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/configuration_files/files_locking_transactional.html

Thanks again!

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:33 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Cody,
>
> Mark’s warnings about multi-user access should be taken seriously; GnuCash
> is NOT multi-user.
>
> In addition, there have been discussions about serial access to remote
> files that may not yet have been synced to the cloud; rapid recall of such
> files could theoretically result in the same kinds of corruption, although
> the discussions in the past were hypothetical in nature (i.e., no one had
> actually experienced such corruption).
>
> For some of the history, try "gnucash dropbox site:lists.gnucash.org” at
> google. You’ll see some of the discussions there.
>
> HTH,
> David
>
> > On May 26, 2016, at 7:19 PM, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>
> wrote:
> >
> > Cody,
> >
> > I have not used Owncloud for this application. However, many people on
> the
> > list have used Dropbox or Drive to put Gnucash in the cloud.
> >
> > A critical caveat - Gnucash is not a multiuser application. When Gnucash
> > starts it loads the entire database into memory, you make changes, and it
> > only writes changes back to a file when the program is closed. If both of
> > you open Gnucash and make some edits, then save back to the cloud, there
> is
> > no guarantee what will happen. Best case scenario, the last one to save
> > will win, which means if you are the last one to save to Owncloud, then
> all
> > you partner's edits will be lost. Worst case scenario, the file will
> become
> > corrupted and you will both loose all your edits.
> >
> > Caveat Emptor.....
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Cody Hofstetter <
> > codyhofstettermailinglistemail at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> I've just set up an Owncloud instance with collaborative document
> editing
> >> and am looking to share a set of books between my business partner and
> I.
> >> It's a small business and only the two of us have access to the server.
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using Owncloud/GNUCash
> together
> >> and has recommendations for ease of use, best practices they've found,
> and
> >> any other relevant info?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> --
> >>
> >> *Thanks,*
> >> *Cody Hofstetter*

Feel free to contact me at this email anytime

*Thanks,*
*Cody Hofstetter*
*CodyHofstetterMailingListEmail at gmail.com