Easier custom reporting (maybe Lua)?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 1 11:16:23 EDT 2016

Wm via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> writes:

> On 25/10/2016 06:17, Sébastien de Menten wrote:
>
>> The idea is more about a better integration between gnucash and 3rd party
>> reporting extension. The unverified program gnucash woud call could anyway
>> be called externally by the user, via the command line (i.e. it does not
>> change a bit the security or I am missing something...). But thank to this
>> better integration with gnucash, the user experience would be dramatically
>> improved !
>> Seen the complexity of today's legacy  reporting system in gnucash, that is
>> not expected to be reworked in the coming months/years due to
>> understandably higher priorities  (engine and backend), this integration
>> via guile/scheme looks like a promising venue doable in a couple of
>> hours/days.
>
> I have tried to get a command line guile to gnc going on and off on both
> Linux and Win but have had no more success than anyone else, it is like
> the python bindings, it involves magic that isn't shared or isn't
> considered important to share.

Back around GnuCash 1.6 the main app was actually a guile script that
pulled together a bunch of modules.  This was converted back to a
C-based main() somewhere around gnucash 2.

>> Any scheme gnucash guru willing to scratch this itch ? My own scheme
>> practice is under 15y of dust...
>
> Guile as implemented by GnuCash remains opaque to me, I can follow the
> general language but then the implementation ... eh?

I don't understand your query.  Guile is scheme.  It's an embedded
interpreter (libguile) which can also be run as a command line
(/usr/bin/guile).