Is there a way to "Clear all contents/delete all transactions" for a fresh start?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Nov 3 18:23:55 EDT 2016

> On Nov 3, 2016, at 1:39 PM, Mike or Penny Novack <mpnovack at mtdata.com> wrote:
>

>> The problem is that GnuCash isn't a native MacOS program, it's a Gtk+ program ported to run on Macs. It doesn't know how to interpret the notification from MacOS telling it what file to open so it just tries to open the file that it had open the last time it was run.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
> Sort of. You have opened gnucash "with" that file BUT the default setting for gnucash is "open last used file". Tell us what happens if you override that with "nofile" << how I run gnucash as low probability the last set of books I was working on the next set I want open* >> That will let you choose the file you want from the last used list (or specify some other entirely different file)
>
> Michael D Novack
>
> * That would only happen if the bookkeeping session for one of my organizations had to be interrupted part way through and I was resuming that instead of doing the next organization's books.

That would require that he start from the command line by specifying the path to the executable, which doesn't engage Launch Services and so doesn't send the NSApplicationOpenFile notification (the one that GnuCash doesn't know how to interpret). The `open` command doesn't pass command-line arguments, it is equivalent to double-clicking on the file in Finder so it would pass NSApplicationOpenFile if you ran `open foo.gnucash` on the command line.

FWIW, you can pass the path to the file you want to open on the command line, e.g. `/path/to/gnucash foo.gnucash`. That works fine on all platforms.

Regards,
John Ralls