Mortgage investment income

Dale Alspach alspachde at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 05:36:28 EST 2016

One way to think about this is to view this as two transactions. In the
first transaction you are making a loan. The second transaction is
receiving a payment.

Suppose in your example the actual check received is for $800 instead of
$1000. You take $100 from your checking account (asset) and transfer it to
unpaid interest (asset) and place the actual $100 with the $800 as if you
had given the relative the $100 as a new loan.
Now you receive a payment of $900 from the relative and allocate it as $750
interest income, $150 taxes.

Dale