- Novice Question.

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 04:30:46 EST 2016

John,

GnuCash is fundamentally based on double entry accounting. If the user fails to enter the second part of a transaction, GnuCash will finish the transaction, as you say. And, yes, there has been discussion about forcing the software to stop each time a user fails to enter the second part of a transaction, and the general consensus has been that the current solution is preferable to a user setting or a repeated nag screen. I’m not exactly sure how GnuCash could ever possibly adopt an Intuit (I chuckled at your typo, BTW) style of interface; Intuit does not enforce double entry accounting, which is the primary definition of what GnuCash is. So, yes, if you don’t want double entry accounting, you *will* need to find another accounting program. However, if you can wrap your head around double entry, then GnuCash performs admirably.

Moreover, the Imbalance account itself is an audit trail—and an easy one to troubleshoot, since you can open that account up and see what precisely has ended up there.

For the OP, the solution I would recommend would be to open up the Imbalance-AUD account, and systematically edit each transaction in that account, changing the Imbalance-AUD split to its appropriate expense account (e.g., Expenses:Auto). Once that register is empty, you will have corrected all the mis-entered transactions.

David T.