Date errors in 2.6.14

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Nov 14 23:56:14 EST 2016

> On Nov 14, 2016, at 6:29 PM, prl <prl at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> On 15/11/2016 12:40, Securenym wrote:
>> I am not at this revision, but this strikes me as a strange change.  Clearly “nearly all” is not the same as “all," and this program is well designed to be useful in the international community.
> I think that New Zealand time zones may also be "slightly strange". New Zealand Standard time is UTC+12:00, and Chatham (Island) Standard Time is GMT+12:45. When DST kicks in in NZ, New Zealand Daylight Time UTC+13, and Chatham Daylight Time is UTC+13:45. Both those DST timezones would make 11:00UTC "tomorrow" local time.
>
> There may well be other countries with UTC+12 standard time and UTC+13 for DST. However, Kamchatka Summer Time in Russia (UTC+13) is apparently no longer used.

Dang. I didn't know about Chatham Island. Do either of you actually live there?

The change was intended to accommodate the peripatetic users, for whom a visit even one time zone west would shift the date. There are 26 timezones (-11 to +15) so there is no GMT time that will work for everyone. I chose to limit the support for the thinly-populated mid-Pacific (-11, +13 and +14) believing that there were few, if any, GnuCash users there. But I had a brain-fart when I picked 11:00, thinking it would work for +13. I've already committed a change to make it 10:59Z, which will. That still won't work in Chatham Island, nor in Vanuatu and Kiribati which use +14. The code is supposed to recognize those timezones and adjust so that the date isn't arbitrarily adjusted on you as long as you don't go to Hawaii (-10) or American Samoa (-11), but it might not be quite right yet either.

Regards,
John Ralls