Problems importing bank statements.

Dr. David Kirkby - Kirkby Microwave Ltd drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 11:53:31 EST 2016

I'm trying to import my bank statements into a current account, starting when
the company was set up. I can export this data from my bank's website, and have
put the first few here.

http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/tmp/first-few-transactions.csv

changing the odd name for confidentiality reasons.

When I try to import these, I'm not surprised it all goes wrong, as the columns
my bank uses, and those I think GnuCash is expecting are quite different. So it
all goes horribly wrong, and the import looks as though it will be like this.

http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/tmp/Screenshot-32.png

which is clearly very muddled up. The number of accounts imported is 0, and the
number updated is 0. The errors are:

Row 1, account Description not in Type
Row 2, account 09/04/2014 not in '830425-11186193
Row 3, account 35314369001 GB" not in PP*7605CODE
Row 4, account 77.23 not in -11.78
Row 5, account BAC not in 28/04/2014
Row 6, account -46.70 not in INTERNET GB"
Row 7, account 06/05/2014 not in '830425-11186193
Row 8, account TUSTIN US not in CROSS RF
Row 9, account -98.43 not in '9035 05MAY14 , PAYPAL , *ELECTROMAVI , 35314369001 GB

I notice the GnuCash has, going left to right:

Date, Num, Description, Transfer, R, Deposit, Withdrawal, Balance.

Am I expect to do some pre-processing of the cvs file before attempting to
import it? Clearly having the company name and account number on every single
line is not exactly useful, and I'd like to remove them.

I could no doubt mess around in Excel, or with the Unix sed and awk utilities to
create a new .cvs file in a different format, but somehow I don't expect that
what the programmers expect a user to do.

Any suggestions?

--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D CEng MIET
Kirkby Microwave Ltd