Earmarking funds for specific purposes

Stuart Brown sbrown at gardenlight.org
Sun Nov 27 13:03:37 EST 2016

FYI

I just set up a chart of accounts for a non profit that had temporary
restricted funds and worked out using it with  2 years of transactions.
There are free resources describing the principles and common use cases
for restricted/unrestricted, which I found with simple searches.

Basically, the way I decided to do it based on this particular non
profits way of working is using split transactions.

Expense example:

1.1 dt restricted net asset, cr income release restricted

1.2 dt expense, cr checking

The purpose of 1.1 is in essence transferring the restricted fund to
unrestricted, where it shows as income, which is matched by the expense
from unrestricted in 1.2. This results in a balance sheet that has a net
0 to unrestricted, but you are also able to track your expenses (
important for showing what you spent on your programs ).

Cash coming in if restricted by the donor credits the restricted fund
directly. However, they were also running programs that received income,
which was later split between unrestricted and restricted, so in that
case, where that split was not happening until the program was over and
all expenses paid, the income was going into unrestricted and then there
was a transfer to restricted at the end of a part of the net on the
program.

If you are doing a non profit you also need to track admin vs program
expenses and income, I did this by creating two placeholder accounts
each in income and expenses, and then having the transactional accounts
under those.

As mentioned below, this is driven by what is needed for later reporting.

I had never used gnu cash before, and I was impressed that I was able to
do everything I needed to do with minimal fuss.