Earmarking funds for specific purposes

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Mon Nov 28 16:35:14 EST 2016

On 11/28/2016 2:34 PM, Aaron Laws wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Mike or Penny Novack
> <mpnovack at mtdata.com <mailto:mpnovack at mtdata.com>> wrote:
OK, the main thing to understand, is that when dealing with
restricted/earmarked funds you are doing TWO (somewhat separate things).
You are accounting for the normal part of the transactions (money came
in, got deposited, checks were written for some expense, etc,) AND
accounting for the placement and removal of restrictions.

If an organization asks for "special donations so we can get a van to
pick up food from a central warehouse to ring to the soup kitchens, the
donations that come in sort of aren't the organizations until they get
used for the defined purpose. That is what the "donations released from
restriction" income account would be for,

If it is just you-deciding to earmark funds in your personal books, that
set aside and later use is a bit different, and why I say "use the
informal method"  << the later transfer will NOT affect any income or
expense accounts >>

Don't try to "elide" the transaction, because you are really accounting
for different things. OK to do it as a single transaction (a two sided
split) but if you have to ask how, don't try to do that.

Michael