Downloading on Macbook Pro

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Sat Oct 1 02:50:41 EDT 2016

It's been a while since I used gnucash on a Mac, but my recollection
is that it normally just downloads and installs from a file that ends
in .dmg (a disk image file).  The two web pages that cover
installation on a Mac should be:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation

http://www.gnucash.org/download.phtml

The second URL is where the files to download are found.  My guess is
that your MacBook is relatively recent, so try downloading the INTEL
(Not the Power PC) Version.

<<
GnuCash 2.6.14 for Mac OS X Intel INTEL | PowerPC

Save that to some place on your hard drive (the default location is
the Download directory in your home folder).  After it finishes
downloading, look for a file with this name:

Gnucash-Intel-2.6.14-1.dmg

After you double click on the file, your should see a mounted disk
image in the finder.  Open it and it should have a copy of gnucash and
other directions (README files, etc.).  It should tell you where to
drag and drop the gnucash software (usually it is the Applications
folder).  After you copy the gnucash software to the Applications
folder double click on it, and you should see the gnucash window with
the menus at the top.

If you did all this already, and you know how to do this, then the
blank screen is a mystery.  Blank in what way?  Is it blank because
you have yet to create a new file, or is it blank because your
computer has somehow crashed, and you have to reboot it?  If Gnucash
opens for you, runs, and shows a start up screen giving you a progress
window of what is being loaded, then go the File menu at the top left,
and select new file, and you should be able to start entering data.

Sorry if that's not much help.  The recipients on this email list
include a number of mac users who can give you more help on this.  I
find the learning curve for gnucash to be a little steep, but the
people on this list are very good at helping out.

Gordon