Question: How to move transactions between files.

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 07:24:13 EDT 2016

Hello Steve,

I am pretty sure that GnuCash doesn’t have a feature like that.

Are you in fact trying to split a file as of a given date? While there is no function to do that, there have been discussions in the past that suggest workaround methods for this. They basically adopt methods that use traditional book closing methods to close the books in one file and start fresh in a second. I believe the steps more specifically are:

1) Use the File->Export function to create a new file with an empty Chart of Accounts for your books (i.e., all your accounts, but no transactions).
2) In the original file, run a Balance Sheet report as of your closing date to determine the balances in all your accounts.
3) Manually enter the balances as Opening Balance entries in the new file.

As far as I know, there are no tools that allow you to input a date, and have two valid GnuCash files result (one before your chosen date, the one after).

Note also that there have been many discussions in the list about whether separate books are necessary in GnuCash. Many prefer to do that, while many others are satisfied to keep all their data in one file and use reports to extract subsets of their data as needed.

David T.