Value of stocks in reports?

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Sun Oct 23 01:14:33 EDT 2016

On 23/10/2016 13:44, John Ralls wrote:
>> On Oct 22, 2016, at 6:12 PM, prl <prl at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure whether this is an accounting question or a Gnucash question, but when I look in some assets reports (Asset Barchart/Piechart, Balance Sheet, Net Worth Barchart/Piechart), the displayed value of the stocks we hold is the Basis, not the Value (as given in the Advanced Portfolio report). That isn't what I'd expect. I'd expect the current value of the stocks to appear in assets reports, not what it cost to buy the shares.
>>
>> Is that what Gnucash is supposed to report (i.e. is my expectation of the report incorrect), or is this a Gnucash error?
>>
>> Is there some way to get reports like Net Worth to use the current value of stocks rather than the basis?
>>
> It's what you should expect for the accounting reports. ...
>
> Net worth is one of the reports that does use market value if you set things up correctly. First, as you probably know you must populate the price database with current prices. Second, you must set the report option Price Source on the General tab to Nearest in time.
Thanks, John. That's exactly what I needed to know. I already had a
pretty good stocks price history (weekly, which is all I feel I need).
The side effect of the Price Source setting wasn't what I expected, but
it certainly works.

The current (market) value of the assets is what our superannuation
adviser likes to see. That's really the only time I use these reports.

Thanks again,
Peter