Easier custom reporting (maybe Lua)?

Julien Cornebise julien.cornebise at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 10:56:56 EDT 2016

Thanks John. You summarise the situation pretty well: somewhat of a lack of
alignment between what I need and what the development team has time and
interest for. I've genuinely thought of contributing a PR, and spent a few
hours trying to find my way in the codebase some weeks ago, but to be frank
at this point this is above my coding skills -- unlike less mature projects
like MoneyManager EX, where I"ve been happy to contribute :
https://github.com/moneymanagerex/moneymanagerex/issues/934   (yet the code
quality there is not ideal, not enough to want to switch away from Gnucash).

I imagine the rather arduous aspect of Gnucash's code, and the diverging
interests of the dev team with some of the more mundane users, might be
what could push a user to write an external library. It's a bit sad: I'll
be writing my own external scripts (with the API or with PieCash) for
reports, but as you say these can't be integrated in Gnucash, and therefore
they will not be a contribution to the Gnucash ecosystem.

Regards,

Julien