Matching cross-account transfer transactions to each other

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Sep 1 11:41:00 EDT 2016

> On Aug 31, 2016, at 5:04 PM, Benjamin Melançon <ben.agaric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> Here's my workflow, please tell me i'm missing a feature:
>
> 1. Manually export an OFX from my online banking checking account and
> import it into GnuCash, it goes into the right account every time, great.
> 2. Manually export an OFX from my online banking savings account and import
> it into GnuCash, it also goes into its correct account, great.
> 3. When i find a transfer from say, the savings account to the checking
> account while in the checking account ("Deposit TRANSFER from Savings"),
> it's always unbalanced and i replace the "Imbalance-USD" line with a
> reference to the savings account.
> 4. Delete the now-duplicate counterpart unbalanced transaction, "Withdrawal
> TRANSFER from Savings", in the savings account ledger.
>
> Is there a way to match these transactions, instead of deleting one?
>
> Something else i'm missing?
>
> (It happens exactly the same, of course, if i start in the other account.)

You can try clicking the "R" box in the matcher, then double-clicking on the line. If the matcher can figure out the counterpart transaction it will offer it as a match in the resulting dialog box. This isn't guaranteed because the matcher might not be smart enough to find the counter transaction, in which case the dialog box won't present a transaction.

Regards,
John Ralls