backupgnucash jar file

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Fri Sep 2 17:31:22 EDT 2016

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 12:15:41 -0400
> From: ETS <eschmeisser at nc.rr.com>
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: backupgnucash jar file
>
> On my way into linux from windows - I am trying to get
> https://github.com/goodvibes2/BackupGnuCashWin/tree/master/src/backu
> pgnucash
> to work under Mint 18.  I've downloaded the jar file, and marked it as
> executable, and tried to use the java 8 to run it ... but when I click on
the jar
> file nothing happens.  On the windows side, at least the window popped up
> so you could set the paths.  Anyone else using this program?

Hi ETS,

Jar files are only executable by java.
I suggest creating a .desktop file for easy running from your Linux gui
environment. I assume this will work for Mint as it is based on Ubuntu.
Please see section 'Running' in
https://github.com/goodvibes2/BackupGnuCashWin/blob/master/src/backupgnucash
/README.md

Plutocrat is right that not all java applications are cross platform
compatible but this one is, for at least Windows & Linux and maybe (not
tested) Mac.

Regards, Chris Good