Can't reconcile Assets

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Sep 5 12:22:54 EDT 2016

> On Sep 5, 2016, at 8:07 AM, Daniel Rosenberg <dnlrsnbrg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the very helpful answer.
> I have indeed a few cash accounts in different currencies (GBP, USD, CHF;
> mostly 0 except the GBP one).
> Is there a way around this without clearing that account and deleting all
> FX accounts? I tested this and it works.

Reconciliation needs to be done in each account's commodity. Roll up balances that apply prices/exchange rates will reflect market value rather than book value, and getting the price information from an aggregate statement into the reconcile dialog would complicate it more than we were willing to accept, so we chose to disable the "include subaccounts" option if any of the subaccounts use a different commodity from the parent. There's also the matter that if you have an out of balance reconcile tracking down the error is vastly more difficult if you have to juggle prices along with transaction amounts.

The right thing to do is to reconcile each sub-account separately.

Regards,
John Ralls