Getting online price quotes via command line fails

Daniel Rosenberg dnlrsnbrg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 04:50:38 EDT 2016

Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> schrieb am Mi., 7. Sep. 2016 um 10:36 Uhr:

> On 7 September 2016 at 09:25, Daniel Rosenberg <dnlrsnbrg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running GnuCash 2.6.13 on Windows. Getting price quotes for
> currencies
> > works using the GUI.
> >
> > I am trying to get the price quotes from a command line with the
> following
> > command:
> > gnucash --add-price-quotes C:\myfile.gnucash
>
> Have you really got your accounts file in the root of C:? That sounds
> like a bad idea.
>
> No, my accounts file is in another directory, but for testing purposes I
put a copy of it there.

> > The Strawberry Perl window opens and closes quickly and no quotes are
> > retrieved. This also happens on normal GnuCash startup.
>
> What do you mean by the final statement?  Do you mean that
> gnucash C:\myfile.gnucash
> also fails?  If so then this is not an issue with the quotes but just
> with running from the command line.
>
> This will show you where to find the trace file which will likely have
> more information.
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile

I will check the trace file, thanks for the link.
Runnig 'gnucash C:\myfile.gnucash' from the command line works, it opens my
GnuCash data file.
What I meant was that the Strawberry perl windows opens and closes quickly
on GnuCash startup (just as it does when manually executing 'gnucash
--add-price-quotes C:\myfile.gnucash'). This was not the case before
installing the online price quote.
Hence my question if the price quotes are (or should be) automatically
updated on GnuCash startup.