Getting online price quotes via command line fails

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 08:27:28 EDT 2016

On 7 September 2016 at 13:06, Daniel Rosenberg <dnlrsnbrg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am getting closer. After getting the error below, I opened cmd as an
> administrator and ran gnucash --debug --add-price-quotes "C:\myfile.gnucash"
> again, only to get the same error.
> Then I copied my data file to gnucash\bin and ran gnucash --debug
> --add-price-quotes myfile.gnucash and it worked! The data file was updated
> with the fx prices.
>
> So two things to consider:
> 1. Run the console as an administrator
> 2. It works if the data file is in the same directory as gnucash.exe
>
> If I try to call the data file from it's original location
> (C:\User\.....\myfile.gnucash) I still get the error below.
> It seems that this is a permission issue and gnucash.exe is not allowed to
> write to any other directory. Any ideas on that?

Is it the case that it will not work if the path you specify on the
command line starts with C: but if you go to the folder and then run
it just with myfile.gnucash in the command then it works (running as
admin if necessary for that folder) ?  In which case not a permissions
error but an interpretation of C:

Colin