Linux repository fro prebuilt?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:48:04 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:16 PM, ETS <eschmeisser at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> I see that a new version (2.6.13) has been released, but my Linux Mint
> 18 software and package managers do not see the new version.  How do
> these new versions get into these repositories? - Elmar

I'm not sure if you want to know for your own system or for everyone
running Mint, so I will try to answer both.

When the GnuCash developers release a new version, volunteers notice the
new version and package it for their favorite distribution. I believe the
following is the chain for Mint...

1) Volunteers package the latest GnuCash for Debian, which makes it to
Debian Unstable.

2) Ubuntu automatically picks up the latest version from Debian Unstable a
few months before each six-month release. (This happened before Ubuntu
16.04 LTS, which is GnuCash 2.6.12.)

3) Mint picks up the version from Ubuntu LTS releases, SO for the next two
years, the latest version in Mint will be GnuCash 2.6.12.

(There may also be a version of Mint based more directly on Debian -- I
don't know when they sync with the Debian repositories. It's also possible
you can volunteer to package a newer version for inclusion in Mint, which I
am sure folks would find helpful.)

To get the most recent release for YOUR system, you could compile it
yourself! (It's not difficult. You'll find instructions at GnuCash.org .)

Alternatively, look at the repository at GetDeb.net -- tell it you're
running Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial." (And if you find their repository helpful,
be sure to donate some money to pay for their bandwidth.)