how to edit ofx file with sed editor? Replace Copy FITID into NAME

LinforPros linforpros at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 21:07:52 EDT 2016

Hello,
Most people (exept me) probably know how to deal with it.
How to process the file from a bank that produces the following OFX fields:

<FITID>20160801000000[-6:CST]*24.37*513**POS CRE 2151 07/29/16 00836463 WM
SUPERCENTER Wal-Mart Super Cen
<NAME>POS CRE 2151 07/29/16 00836463 W

Gnu cash will import the file but will assign the discription from the
<NAME> tag which is less that informative and truncated to 32 characters by
the bank. I need to see more that just that.
Is there a "sed" command that would copy whatever there is after the double
** in the FITID tag and copy it into the NAME tag?

Such modified file would be better for gnucash ofx importer.
Or am I missing something here?

Any help will greatly be appreciated

Lin