how to edit ofx file with sed editor? Replace Copy FITID into NAME

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 14 20:53:58 EDT 2016

> Message: 12
> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 22:19:37 -0700 (PDT)
> From: LinforPros <linforpros at gmail.com>
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: RE: how to edit ofx file with sed editor? Replace Copy FITID
> 	into NAME
>
> Here is the snippet of the file my bank produces:
>

> And testing for the kind of line endings with "cat -e FILENAME" shows:
>

> Which seems like LF and the end, without CR.
>
> I would be happy to see the awk script that can copy text from the double
> "**" to the end of the line in the FITID and then paste it into the NAME
tag,
> replacing its current value.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to solve my problem.
>
> regards,
> Lin

Hi Lin,

For some reason your data lines were stripped from the GnuCash mail but I
got them from nabble.
Here is the script:

/^<STMTTRN>/ {
	name=""
}
/^<FITID>/ {
	idx=index($0, "**")
	if (idx > 0) {
		name=substr($0, idx+2)
	}
}
/^<NAME>/ {
	if (length(name) > 0) {
		print "<NAME>" name
		next
	}
}
{ print }

I suggest saving the above lines in file ofx.awk, then execute it by
awk -f ofx.awk ofx.in > ofx.out
where ofx.in is the name of your input ofx file and ofx.out is the name of
the modified output file.

If there is no ** in the FITID, the NAME line is written out unchanged.

I have attached the script in file ofx.txt in case mail corrupts something.

Regards, Chris Good