Crashing file due to (mistakingly) edited backup

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 07:05:50 EDT 2016

Bob,

Sorry to hear you’re having troubles. You list a number of issues.

The prompt regarding “opening it anyway" is due to the crash (http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_GnuCash_says_that_it_can.27t_obtain_the_lock_for_my_file._What_should_I_do.3F <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_GnuCash_says_that_it_can.27t_obtain_the_lock_for_my_file._What_should_I_do.3F>), which you say happens now when you try to open your file.

When you say “edited one of the backup files” what do you mean? Did you open a backup in GnuCash purposefully and change it? Did you edit one in a text editor? How did you “delete” 40,000+ transactions?

Have you tried opening recent backups (you DO have backups, right)?

More fundamentally, what version of GnuCash are you using, on which operating system, and what storage method are you using (XML or SQL)?

David