Regular expressions in GnuCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 26 08:23:39 EDT 2016

Hi,

Please remember to CC the list on all replies using your mailer's
reply-to-list or reply-all functionality.

John Morris <johnjeff at editide.us> writes:

> Of course, the software could be coded to recognize the difference
> between numbers and text and simply ignore all text when doing a
> numerical comparison. Alternatively, the software could ignore any
> transaction that has any text in the field. However, my feeling is
> that the current implementation has a tool that can do the job. As I
> understand it, the developers are currently working hard at rewriting
> the basic code in C and plan to make significant improvements to how
> it uses the database. This is not the time to be asking for new
> features when there is so much that needs to be fixed.

You clearly don't understand data driven architecture.  Almost
everything (storage, search, etc) is based on the underlying data object
definition.  Text is text.  Number is number.  There is no "text treated
as number".  To do that would require defining a new data type, which
would involve updating all the front and back ends to handle that
appropriately.

Sure, it could be DONE.  It's just a SMOP.  However there are
ramifications to changes like this.