How to register Insurance refund invoice

Dave H hellvee at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 05:47:11 EDT 2016

Alberto,

I have the following expenses setup

Medical Expenses
Medical Expenses : Refunds     -- Negative Balance
Medical Expenses : Person 1    -- Positive Balance
Medical Expenses : Person 2    -- Positive Balance
Medical Expenses : Person 3    -- Positive Balance

When I pay for medical expenses, the refund is usually deducted at time of
service and payment as follows :-

                                                Tot Expense    Tot Rebate
Consultation Fee       - Expenses : Medical Expenses : Person 1
                         $61.50
Credit Card Payment - Liabilities : Credit Card
                                                         $20.90
Health Fund Refund   - Expenses : Medical Expenses : Refunds
                                            $40.60

If the refund is paid later which sometimes happen (your situation) I do
the following :-

                                                Tot Expense    Tot Rebate
Bank Account Refund Payment        - Assets : Current Assets : Cheque
Account               $76.50
Balancing Expense Account Posting - Expenses : Medical Expenses : Refunds
                                 $76.50

Works for me anyway :-)

Hope this helps,

Cheers Dave H.