Is there any limit on what I can put in the Customer notes field?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Sep 29 03:55:24 EDT 2016

> On Sep 28, 2016, at 10:01 PM, David Goodenough <david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I need to stash some additional information in the GnuCash dataset (typically
> I am using XML for the moment) for each customer.  I suppose I could keep it
> entirely separate and key it off the UUID for each customer (which I take to be
> stable) but I would rather keep it with each Customer if I can.
>
> The notes field is an obvious choice, but I do not want to cause problems
> either by putting too much data in there, or if there is content that will
> cause problems.  I realize that through the GnuCash program I can edit the
> data, but that is not my intent and I am the user so I will resist the
> temptation.  I would want to update it through the API.

David,

You can put any text you like in the Notes field, but make sure that it's legitimate XML PData: Use the & and < entities if you need to use those characters, and don't try to put any additional markup in it. The only size limitation would be imposed by the GUI, which uses a GtkTextBuffer to hold it. That exposes functions that index bytes (the encoding is assumed to be utf8) and return ints, so you're limited to 2^31 characters. That should be sufficient for your needs.

Regards,
John Ralls