GnuCash doesn't handle fractional cents properly with tax tables

Seeker seeker5528 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 1 03:05:22 EDT 2017

On 3/1/2017 12:11 AM, Omari Stephens wrote:
> Howdy, y'all.  I'm pretty sure there's a bug here, but it's not clear to
> me yet whether I'm also doing something wrong, or whether this just
> needs to be fixed.
>
> My total sales tax rate is 8.5%.  So I charge 8.5% on top of the
> subtotal.  My sales tax rate consists of a city rate of 0.25%, a county
> rate of 2.25%, and a state rate of 6.0%.
>
> I recently sent a $150 invoice to a customer through PayPal, which just
> charges the final rate of 8.5%.  So the total invoice amount was $150 +
> $12.75 == $162.75
>
> When I try to enter the invoice in GnuCash, with "Taxable?" checked and
> "Tax included?" _not_ checked for a $150.00 line, it shows the figured
> tax amount as $12.7_6_.  Presumably related to the fact that the city
> tax amount is $0.375 and the county tax amount is $3.375 .  I could see
> this as being a confusing non-bug.

I'm a little late coming in to this.

Does your state require you to itemize the city, county, and state taxes
on the invoice and keep track of these separately in your books?

If so then the $12.76 would seem to be the correct tax amount.

In my state I may have 3 or 4 different taxes that make up a total tax
rate depending on where I am doing the work, but I don't have to worry
about the individual taxes only the total rate in each area.

If your state only requires you to care about the %8.5 then tracking
where the individual taxes go is just complicating things for no reason,
but maybe that's just me. ;)

If in doubt, talk to an accountant.

Later, Don