Help! Lost files

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Apr 3 04:07:26 EDT 2017

On Monday, 3 April 2017 10:15:02 BST Anita Graves wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I did two things that caused a crisis in my life:
>
> 1)  I renamed a file
>
> 2) I moved the files around in different folders
>
> Now,
> I can’t open or find any of my files- files by the same name are empty
>
> I do not know how to take information from a log and put it back into a
> file, if that is what I am supposed to do.
>
> What can I do?

Hi Anita,

Did you rename & move your main gnucash data file?  If so, and you can remember
where you put it and what you called it, then from within GC file->open and
navigate to the new filename & location and you should be just fine.  (if you
are on a MAC, then finding the file and clicking it won't work - there's an odd
interaction in OSX that means GC always opens the previously-open file, so you
must File->open in GC)

If you started renaming files elsewhere on your system, then your problems are
somewhat larger....

HTH,
Maf.