HST/Sales Tax Question

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 21:33:09 EDT 2017

Melissa,

The only way to get tax calculated automatically without specifically entering it (that I am aware of) is to use the business features. I doubt you want to go through the trouble of defining Walmart, et al as vendors and then entering, posting, and paying ‘invoices’ for each purchase you make.

I track sales tax separately for purchases as well, even split amongst the state and local rate. There’s really no easy way to do that. I just enter each transaction line by line as it appears on my receipts.

You have it a bit easier since you always know what your tax rate is and it’s always inclusive. Enter the line items for a Walmart purchase as you normally would, then enter another line item for HST, set to post to an expense account for HST, such as Expenses:Taxes:HST. Since GnuCash can do some basic math for you, there are a few ways you can calculate the HST for the split.

You can enter a split line for the item/service purchased with value ‘amount’ in this example ’10.00’. (and assuming your example of 13% HST)

amount - amount / 1 + HST rate
ex: 10.00-10.00/1.13

= 1.15

and then use your arrow key to move back up to the actual expense line and add ‘-1.15’ after it resulting in 8.85.

Or, and this might be easier for purchases with more than one expense split so you accurately distribute the HST:

enter every expense split like so:

amount / 1 + HST rate
ex: 10.00/1.13

= 8.85

If you start your transactions with the total spent as a credit to whichever asset (say checking or cash account) you paid with, this will leave you with an unallocated split line of 1.15, which is the HST for that item. As you enter more items, that unallocated split will grow. When finished, you can simply assign that unallocated split line to the aforementioned Expenses:Taxes:HST account, and you’re balanced. If you are in the habit of entering the asset credit (payment) line last, enter it and you’ll see the unallocated debit (expense) split show up, then simply assign it to the HST expense account.

Hope that helps,

Adrien