Mac users have a huge problem, I think! Gnucash won't open anything now

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Apr 4 12:42:37 EDT 2017

> On Apr 4, 2017, at 9:13 AM, Anita Graves <anitagraves at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Folks who always are helpful,
>
> Please tell me why I can’t open anything now.  The Gnucash app just tells me it can’t find an old file I clicked on to try to open it.
>
> I’m not used to this kind of treatment.  As a Mac user, I can open anything I click on.  Except Gnucash files.  I have a folder on my desktop with lots and lots of Gnucash files in it, some are .gnucash and some are .log files.  I try to open only the .gnucash files, but the app won’t open them.  It says it can’t find the file.
>
> What can I do so that I can open any Gnucash file I want to open anytime I want to open it???
>
> The app doesn’t even give me the last four files I worked with.
>
> Thanks for the much appreciated feedback.

GnuCash isn't a native Mac application, it's a Linux application that happens to run on Mac. I've made a few customizations to better fit the Mac UI, but opening a file by double-clicking it in Finder isn't one of them. We've already explained to you how to open files in GnuCash, and I use the most-recently-used list in the file menu frequently and find that it works perfectly well.

If that's a barrier to you using GnuCash on Mac, I'm sorry, but too bad. Perhaps you'll find iBank or Moneyflow better suits your needs.

Regards,
John Ralls