UK Corporation Tax using python bindings

Richard Crozier richard.crozier at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 06:31:50 EDT 2017

Dear List,

I have recently started using gnucash for my small consultancy company
business accounts. As I understand it there is no way to directly
calculate UK corporation tax in gnucash, and am interested in using the
python bindings to do this. I would like to get the developers thoughts
on this.

The way I imagine it working is using the Notes field of an expense
account and the notes fields for individual transactions to mark whether
expenses are tax deductible or not (or what percentage). How I imagine
this working:

For an expense account have a code written in the notes like
UKCT:Deductible that means in general all values in this expense account
are 100% deductible expenses for UK Corporation Tax calculation.

For each transaction, in the notes field (I mean what you see when you
do View->Double Line) allow this to be overridden with a similar code
like UKCT:<%deductible> where <%deductible> would be a number, e.g.
UKCT:50 for 50% or UKCT:0 for not at all etc.

The transaction level code would override the account level codes for
that transaction if present.

So my questions are:

In python will I be able to access this information? The Notes fields
for the accounts and transactions I mean.

In general what do you think of this approach?

I'd be happy to share any code I create, for review if nothing else.

By the way, I'm subscribed to the list so I can post, but am not
receiving list emails (to many mailing lists already), so please copy me
into replies too.

Regards,

Richard