CSV Import

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Apr 15 04:28:51 EDT 2017

On zondag 2 april 2017 02:50:54 CEST Steve Isenberg wrote:
> No way, there is no way the CSV import works!
>
> To start I removed the header row as it wasn't really needed.
>
> The original date format was the typical US, m/d/yyyy. I changed it to
> d-m-yyyy, replacing the forward slash with a hyphen. It failed.
>
> I changed the date to yyyy-m-d, and it failed.
>
> This is the test data that I tried to import:
>
>     2017-2-1,Pamela H,18
>     2017-2-1,John L,18
>
> Preview Settings (screen)
> Start import on row 1 and stop on row 2
> Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
> Data type: separated
> Separators: comma
> Date Format: y-m-d
> Currency Format: locale
> Step over Account Page if Setup: checked
>
> Click the Forward button
>
> Account Selection (screen)
>
> ERROR:
> There are problems with the import settings!
> The date format could be wrong or there are not enough columns set...
>
> Every time, it fails at the same place and with the same message,
> every-single-time.
>
> I am running Windows 7.
>
> I don't want to do data entry as I have data from multiple sources that I
> want to import.
>
> What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
> What are the formats of each column?
> I need a work around or a fix to move forward.

Hi Steve,

I just tried again on my Windows test system. I can succesfully import the
data you suggest (gnucash 2.6.15).

As for what columns are supposed to be in the CSV file, there are 3 mandatory
columns: a date column, a description column and then either one of Deposit,
Withdrawal, Balance. The sequence in which they are in the CSV file can vary,
so it's up to you to tell the importer which column is which in your data. You
do this in the Preview page of the importer by clicking on the header fields
of the data table (each of which is initially set to "none").

In your step by step description above you don't mention doing this. Perhaps
that's the issue ?

Regards,

Geert