UK specific: MTD - Making Tax Digital

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Mon Apr 17 14:25:09 EDT 2017

On Monday, 17 April 2017 16:39:02 BST Alain Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 04:00:20PM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> > Apparently they have effectively locked out open source software as there
> > is a per application (i.e. there would be one just for GnuCash) "secret"
> > that is used during the OAuth2 login.  Keeping that value secret is not
> > possible in open source (closed source just hard code it into their code)
> > so effectively open source can not be used.
>
> Do you have a reference for that ?
I did a google search for I think "HMRC MTD api", and found a page for
application developers which talked about OAuth2 and the use of an ID for the
application and its secret.  I sent a question to HMRC and got an answer from
first level saying they had escalated it - that was over a week ago and I have
yet to receive a reply.  The question I asked was if they had any guidance as
to how Open Source code should handle the secret.

The URL is:-

https://developer.service.hmrc.gov.uk/api-documentation/docs/tutorials#app-restricted

David